University Of Pretoria Bcom 4 Year Programme
The range of extended curriculum programmes (four instead of three study years for a three year B degree) at UP have lower entrance requirements than other three year programmes. The extended curriculum programmes (ECPs) and are designed to accommodate students who are academically less prepared, but who are willing to work hard to correct chinks in their academic armour, thus earning success and eventually a degree.
The programmes include an additional year of study during which students’ basic knowledge and skills are enhanced before progressing onto more focused studies in the last three years of their chosen degree programmes.
Furthermore, students who embark on these programmes theoretically have a much greater opportunity to succeed in their studies, as the teaching model, amongst others, utilizes smaller tutorial groups and provides dedicated support to students who need assistance to bridge the gap between school and university.
Prospective students must consult the faculty yearbooks and /or the undergraduate brochures for more information on admission requirements of the extended programmes offered in the different faculties.
Features of the BCom (Extended Programme)
The BCom (Extended Programme) programme comprises two distinct phases and specific pathways in each phase are provided in the EMS Transfer Guide. During the first phase, which lasts 12 months or 2 semesters, students are trained and developed academically and psychologically to cope with further studies whilst at the Mamelodi Campus of the University of Pretoria. The second phase (3 years), which kicks off on the Hatfield Campus, will be addressed later in this document. More on the first phase:
- During Phase 1, the academic content of modules (subjects) is delivered at a slower pace than the normal BCom programmes to provide students with more time to engage fully with the module content and thus develop a thorough understanding of the study material.
- During the two semesters of the first phase, the pace will be stepped up gradually so that students will eventually be able to work at the normal speed required of university students during their studies.
- Additional modules are prescribed during the first two semesters to help students to cope at university by focussing on language usage in the specific disciplines and associated study skills. These language and study skills modules are extremely important for the rest of your academic career and provide the foundation for success. Extra support is also provided via career guidance and counselling.
- A substantial component of the teaching and learning at Mamelodi takes place in smaller groups as this allows for more individual attention and provides ample opportunity for questions and discussion of difficult concepts.
- In addition to the smaller tutorial classes, students also receive lectures in larger groups in certain modules where the teaching style is more formal. This is excellent preparation for the second phase of the programme as will be explained below.
- A variety of teaching methods is used to deliver module content to remedy possible gaps that may exist in school knowledge and this also includes computerised assignments and assessments in preparation of the hybrid teaching model followed on the Hatfield Campus when Phase 2 commences.
- Phase 1 focuses on understanding and developing critical thinking skills as well as practical skills to cope with the modules in the second phase.
- Progress is assessed on a continuous basis and students have to pass all their modules during Phase 1 to be transferred to Phase 2 on the Hatfield Campus. Failing to do so will result in students not being allowed to continue their studies at the University of Pretoria during Phase 2, ie these students will be excluded from further study at the University of Pretoria.
- The extended programme is offered in English only and supports the development of English language skills during the first phase.
Phase 2 commences after completing Phase 1 on the Mamelodi Campus and students will now find themselves on the Hatfield Campus of the University of Pretoria. The following is relevant to Phase 2:
- Carefully study the section of the EMS Transfer Guide related to Mamelodi Students (section VII) at the beginning of Phase 1 to set your goals for the end of your first year. This is important!
- Students will be allowed to select the BCom programme they would prefer to continue with during (their degree of choice) October of Phase 1 spent at the Mamelodi Campus.
- Note that degrees in the Management Sciences are immediately accessible at the commencement of Phase 2, but students will only be considered for degrees in the Investment and Accounting Sciences at the end of their first year on the Hatfield Campus.
- Transfer to degrees with an NSC Mathematics requirement of 5 and above, ie Financial, Economic, Investment Management and Accounting Sciences degrees, have stringent transfer requirements set out in the Transfer Guidance (see EMS Faculty website under the red First-year Students block). Study the EMS Transfer Guide carefully to see what those are.
- The selection of modules during the first semester on the Hatfield Campus (ie third semester at UP) is meticulously set out in Appendix 1 of the EMS Transfer Guide, but must be discussed with a Faculty Administrator to ensure that the optimal selection is made during this first semester on the Hatfield Campus.
- If students are successful in Phase 2 on Hatfield Campus, they will be able to graduate with a BCom degree after a minimum of four years.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs):
Who should enrol for this degree?
This is the ideal degree for students who are interested in studying towards BCom degrees in the Management Sciences, but do not comply with all the minimum Grade 12 admission requirements for a three-year degree at Hatfield. Some other possibilities are also available in the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences (EMS Faculty) if a student really performs well. Students must apply during October of their first year at Mamelodi to transfer to the EMS Faculty on the Hatfield Campus. Placement in degrees such as the BCom (Accounting Sciences) and (Investment Management) will only be possible if capacity allows and if students meet the stringent transfer requirements set for these degrees at the end of their second year of study at UP or first year on the Hatfield Campus. Please consult the EMS Transfer Guidance published on the EMS Faculty website.
|Academic information management
|111, 121 (compulsory)
|Language, life and study skills
|133, 143 (compulsory)
|133*, 143* (see below)
|133, 143 (compulsory)
|133, 143 (compulsory)
|Basic Business Mathematics
|133 # (see below)
|133, 143* (see below)
|133, 143*# (see below)
National Senior Certificate (NSC) with admission to university studies.
An admission point score (APS) of at least 26.
Mathematics at a level 3
English at a level 4
Life Orientation at level 4, but this is not counted when calculating the APS.
More University of Pretoria Details
University Of Pretoria Online Application Steps
UP Online Application Form 2024
UP Online Application 2024 Closing Date
UP Online Application Login
UP Online Application Status 2024
University Of Pretoria Undergraduate Online Application
University Of Pretoria Online Application Postgraduate
University Of Pretoria 2024 Application Fee
UP Application Closing Dates
UP Online Application 2024 Closing Date
UP Application Form 2024 Pdf
UP Application 2024
UP Prospectus 2024
UP Online Application 2024
UP Postgraduate Prospectus 2024
UP Undergraduate Prospectus 2024
University Of Pretoria Calendar 2024
University Of Pretoria Contact
University Of Pretoria Bursaries
UP Courses 2024
UP Important Dates
University of Pretoria Registration
University of Pretoria Registration Fee
University Of Pretoria Address
University Of Pretoria Library
University Of Pretoria Fees
University Of Pretoria Logo
University Of Pretoria Courses
University Of Pretoria Application Status
University Of Pretoria Vacancies
University Of Pretoria Application Requirements
University Of Pretoria Accommodation
University Of Pretoria Architecture
University Of Pretoria Application Forms 2024 Pdf
University Of Pretoria Banking Details
University Of Pretoria Business School
University Of Pretoria Brochure
University Of Pretoria Bursaries 2024
University Of Pretoria Bridging Courses
University Of Pretoria Contact Number
University Of Pretoria Computer Science
University Of Pretoria Distance Learning
University Of Pretoria Diploma Courses
University Of Pretoria Departments
University Of Pretoria Email Address
University Of Pretoria Engineering
University Of Pretoria Economics
University Of Pretoria Exam Timetable 2024
University Of Pretoria English Department
University Of Pretoria Finance
University Of Pretoria Faculties
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Education
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Law
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Veterinary Science
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Engineering
University Of Pretoria Graduation
University Of Pretoria Holidays 2024
University Of Pretoria Hillcrest Campus
University Of Pretoria History
University Of Pretoria HR Contact Details
University Of Pretoria Industrial Engineering
University Of Pretoria IT Courses
University Of Pretoria Journalism
University Of Pretoria June Exam Timetable
University Of Pretoria Key Dates
University Of Pretoria Law Library
University Of Pretoria Law Fees
University Of Pretoria Medical School
University Of Pretoria Main Campus
University Of Pretoria Masters Application
University Of Pretoria Media Studies
University Of Pretoria Nursing
University Of Pretoria Number
University Of Pretoria Nsfas
University Of Pretoria Online Application 2024
University Of Pretoria Online Courses
University Of Pretoria Open Day
University Of Pretoria Online Application Login
University Of Pretoria Online Registration
University Of Pretoria Portal
University Of Pretoria Psychology
University Of Pretoria Postgraduate Fees
University Of Pretoria Qualifications
University Of Pretoria Requirements
University Of Pretoria Ranking
University Of Pretoria Student Accommodation
University Of Pretoria Term Dates
University Of Pretoria Teaching Course Requirements
University Of Pretoria Term Dates 2024
University Of Pretoria Telephone Number
University Of Pretoria Transcripts
University Of Pretoria Up Portal
University Of Pretoria World Ranking
University Of Pretoria World Ranking 2024
University Of Pretoria Waiting List