University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Education
The Faculty of Education prides itself on being a multi-racial and culturally diverse environment for learning. Our programmes are strengthened by our partnership with the Department of Basic Education, as well as other departments and faculties within the University of Pretoria.
In pursuit of teaching excellence, the Faculty supports the University’s hybrid teaching and learning model, which offers you an optimal blend of face-to-face and virtual (or online) learning opportunities. You will have access to some of the best infrastructure, libraries, laboratories, online study resources, lecturers and work opportunities in South Africa, together with a host of support services to help and guide you throughout your studies.
We offer the following qualifications:
- Pre-school to grade 3 – Bachelor of Education (BEd): Foundation Phase Teaching
- Grades 4 to 7 – BEd Intermediate Phase Teaching
- Grades 7 to 12 – BEd Senior and Further Education and Training Phase Teaching
- Higher Certificate in Sport Science Education
Would you like to:
• Make a difference in the life of a child?
• Serve children, your community and your country?
• Ignite the spark of curiosity in children?
• Help children to become creative and thinking citizens?
• Experience the joy of seeing children learn to read, write and count?
• Experience on a daily basis the love for learning and the love of teaching?
• Make the world a better place?
Admission requirements for the Faculty of Education
Candidates with one of the following qualifications can apply:
• National Senior Certificate (NSC)
• Cambridge Level A
• Independent examinations Board (IEB)
To be able to gain access to the Faculty and specific programmes, prospective students require appropriate combinations of recognised subjects (NSC/Cambridge Level A/IEB), as well as certain level of achievement in these subjects.
Admission Point Score (APS)
The calculation of the APS is based on a candidate’s achievement in six 20-credit recognised subjects by using the NSC ratings that is the 1 to 7 scale of achievement – adding them together.
Thus, the highest APS that can be achieved is 42.
Life Orientation is excluded from the calculation.
Rating code Marks
7 Outstanding 80-100% 6 Meritorious 70-79% 5 Substantial 60-69% 4 Adequate 50-59% 3 Moderate 40-49% 2 Elementary 30-39% 1 Not achieved 0-38%
All programmes have minimum subject and level requirements
● Preliminary admission is based on the results obtained in the final Grade 11 examination. Yet, the final Grade 12 results will be the determining factor with regard to admission.
● Candidates with an APS of 28 and higher will be given preference.
● For the Higher Certificate in Sports Science Education, an APS of 20 and higher is required.
● With Mathematics Literacy, you will be able to enrol for the Foundation Phase Programme; the Intermediate Phase Programme as well as Languages; Art; Music and other Humanities Education specialization areas (but NOT Natural and Mathematical and Economic and Management Sciences).
● The Natural Sciences packages require Mathematics, passed with a rating code of 5 (60%-69%) in Grade 12, or Mathematics code (50%-59%) for Economics and Management Sciences and Physical Sciences electives.
● For the Higher Certificate in Sports Science Education, a selection process based on academic and sport achievements will take place.
Career opportunities when you have a BEd degree:
• Teach at pre-schools; primary schools and secondary schools. In addition, any BEd electives taken to the third year level, will allow you to enter study for an honours degree including Sciences; Humanities and Economics and Management Sciences.
• With a postgraduate qualification you may be considered for posts as University lecturers; educational psychologists; school principals; senior educational leaders; programme evaluators; curriculum designers; computer education experts; assessment specialists; education policy analysts; educational advisors, etc
• A Higher Certificate in Sports Science Education will allow a career in sport coaching.
To apply online: www.up.ac.za/fees-and-funding Students who want to apply for UP loans or UP funding must:
• First apply for admission to study at the University and wait to receive a student number
• Apply for funding as soon as the University has sent a student number, (even before they have been notified of whether their study application was successful or not) and should not wait for their final school-year end examination results before applying for funding
• Apply for UP funding between 1 August and 30 November of the year preceding the commencement of studies
• Apply on the University of Pretoria website at www.up.ac.za/fees-and-funding e.g.and NSFAS and Funza Lushaka
• Regularly follow-up their applications on the UP Portal ‘Student Centre’
• The Funza Lushaka Bursary from the Department of Basic Education is a bursary that aims to attract high performing students into the field of teaching. The bursaries are a multi- year commitment to fund undergraduate qualifications in priority areas as determined by the DBE, with selections made by the DBE and the Provincial Departments.
• Applications are open online at www.funzalushaka.doe.gov.za from 1 October to the second week of January, before you start the BEd studies.
Closing dates for all applications
The closing date for applications is 30 September.
Visit applications at https://www.up.ac.za/online-application
Apply or submit applications for admission and for living in residences.
For all admission enquiries: Call Centre: 012 420 5546/ 5615
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) programme:
- Postgraduate Diploma in TVET programme:
- Baccalaureus Educationis Honores (BEdHons) Programmes:
- Magister Educationis (MEd) Programmes
- Philosophiae Doctoral Degrees (PhD) Programmes:
Postgraduate support sessions contact:
Dr Rakgadi Phatlane
Administration Building 3-1
Faculty of Education
Tel :012 420 5512
>More University of Pretoria Details
University Of Pretoria Online Application Steps
UP Online Application Form 2022
UP Online Application 2022 Closing Date
UP Online Application Login
UP Online Application Status 2022
University Of Pretoria Undergraduate Online Application
University Of Pretoria Online Application Postgraduate
University Of Pretoria 2022 Application Fee
UP Application Closing Dates
UP Online Application 2022 Closing Date
UP Application Form 2022 Pdf
UP Application 2022
UP Prospectus 2022
UP Online Application 2022
UP Postgraduate Prospectus 2022
UP Undergraduate Prospectus 2022
University Of Pretoria Calendar 2022
University Of Pretoria Contact
University Of Pretoria Bursaries
UP Courses 2022
UP Important Dates
University of Pretoria Registration
University of Pretoria Registration Fee
University Of Pretoria Address
University Of Pretoria Library
University Of Pretoria Fees
University Of Pretoria Logo
University Of Pretoria Courses
University Of Pretoria Application Status
University Of Pretoria Vacancies
University Of Pretoria Application Requirements
University Of Pretoria Accommodation
University Of Pretoria Architecture
University Of Pretoria Application Forms 2022 Pdf
University Of Pretoria Banking Details
University Of Pretoria Business School
University Of Pretoria Brochure
University Of Pretoria Bursaries 2022
University Of Pretoria Bridging Courses
University Of Pretoria Contact Number
University Of Pretoria Computer Science
University Of Pretoria Distance Learning
University Of Pretoria Diploma Courses
University Of Pretoria Departments
University Of Pretoria Email Address
University Of Pretoria Engineering
University Of Pretoria Economics
University Of Pretoria Exam Timetable 2022
University Of Pretoria English Department
University Of Pretoria Finance
University Of Pretoria Faculties
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Education
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Law
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Veterinary Science
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Engineering
University Of Pretoria Graduation
University Of Pretoria Holidays 2022
University Of Pretoria Hillcrest Campus
University Of Pretoria History
University Of Pretoria HR Contact Details
University Of Pretoria Industrial Engineering
University Of Pretoria IT Courses
University Of Pretoria Journalism
University Of Pretoria June Exam Timetable
University Of Pretoria Key Dates
University Of Pretoria Law Library
University Of Pretoria Law Fees
University Of Pretoria Medical School
University Of Pretoria Main Campus
University Of Pretoria Masters Application
University Of Pretoria Media Studies
University Of Pretoria Nursing
University Of Pretoria Number
University Of Pretoria Nsfas
University Of Pretoria Online Application 2022
University Of Pretoria Online Courses
University Of Pretoria Open Day
University Of Pretoria Online Application Login
University Of Pretoria Online Registration
University Of Pretoria Portal
University Of Pretoria Psychology
University Of Pretoria Postgraduate Fees
University Of Pretoria Qualifications
University Of Pretoria Requirements
University Of Pretoria Ranking
University Of Pretoria Student Accommodation
University Of Pretoria Term Dates
University Of Pretoria Teaching Course Requirements
University Of Pretoria Term Dates 2022
University Of Pretoria Telephone Number
University Of Pretoria Transcripts
University Of Pretoria Up Portal
University Of Pretoria World Ranking
University Of Pretoria World Ranking 2022
University Of Pretoria Waiting List