University Of Pretoria Information Design
Design is a dynamic discipline that impacts on people and the world they live in. The successful information designer is a highly qualified person who plays a vital role in creating the contemporary visual, spatial and digital environment. A skilled designer can convey meaningful and powerful messages in a variety of media to diverse people. The BA (Information Design) programme incorporates design strategies and design applications in a range of media. Our students learn to design with their heads, hearts and hands to equip them for careers in the local and global communication design industry.
The functions of information design can be broadly defined in terms of the following intentions:
- Establishing visual identities for people, organisations or products
- Visually informing, directing, explaining, describing and educating
- Persuading people to change their behaviours
- Creating an entertaining, aesthetic or intriguing experience
- Creating meaningful and socially responsible design systems
Information designers execute projects in three types of media: print, ambient and screen-based media. Typical design applications include:
- Corporate identity and branding
- Editorial design and copywriting
- Advertising and promotion
- Design for social development
- Imaging and visualisation
- Broadcast, film and animation
- Information visualisation
- Web design
- Social design interventions
Graduates will leave the programme with confidence and versatility that will enable them to establish themselves in any of the above areas of professional practice. They can expect to be knowledgeable about current developments in professional practice and to be sensitive to how design can impact society and bring about social change.
For more information, please consult the Faculty webpage.
- Disclaimer: This publication contains information about regulations and programmes of the University of Pretoria. Amendments to or updating of the information may be effected from time to time without prior notification. The accuracy, correctness or validity of the information contained here is therefore not guaranteed by the University at any given time and is always subject to verification. The user is kindly requested to verify the correctness of the information with the University at all times. Failure to do so will not give rise to any claim or action of any nature against the University by any party whatsoever.
Animators, graphic designers, illustrators, interaction designers, communication designers, art directors, media production managers, design managers, designers of animation and movement graphics, design educators, media designers, typographers for advertising and branding agencies; publishing industries; web design companies; broadcast and animation studios; in-house design for large companies, state and parastatal organisations, research and educational institutions; public relations and marketing companies; design consultants; printers and production houses or owners of private studios.
- SA – 31/07/2021
- Non-SA – 31/07/2021
Important information for all prospective students for 2023
- The admission requirements apply to students who apply for admission to the University of Pretoria with a National Senior Certificate (NSC) and Independent Examination Board (IEB) qualifications.
- Applicants with qualifications other than the abovementioned should refer to:
- Brochure: Undergraduate Programme Information 2023: Qualifications other than the NSC and IEB, available at click here.
- Citizens from countries other than South Africa (applicants who are not South African citizens) should also refer to:
- Brochure: Newcomer’s Guide 2021, available at click here.
- School of Tomorrow (SOT), Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) and General Education Development Test (GED): The University of Pretoria no longer accepts qualifications awarded by these institutions.
- National Certificate (Vocational) (NCV) Level 4: The University of Pretoria may consider NCV candidates, provided they meet the exemption for bachelor’s status criteria and the programme requirements.
A transferring student is a student who, at the time of application for a degree programme at the University of Pretoria (UP) –
- is a registered student at another tertiary institution, or was previously registered at another tertiary institution and did not complete the programme enrolled for at that institution, and is not currently enrolled at a tertiary institution, or has completed studies at another tertiary institution, but is not currently enrolled at a tertiary institution, or has started with tertiary studies at UP, then moved to another tertiary institution and wants to be readmitted at UP.
A transferring student will be considered for admission based on
- an NSC or equivalent qualification with exemption to bachelor’s or diploma studies (whichever is applicable); and meeting the minimum faculty-specific subject requirements at NSC or tertiary level; or having completed a higher certificate at a tertiary institution with faculty-specific subjects/modules passed (equal to or more than 50%), as well as complying with faculty rules on admission;
- previous academic performance (must have passed all modules registered for up to the closing date of application ) or as per faculty regulation/promotion requirements;
- a certificate of good conduct.
Note: Students who have been dismissed at the previous institution due to poor academic performance, will not be considered for admission to UP.
A returning student is a student who, at the time of application for a degree programme –
- is a registered student at UP, and wants to transfer to another degree at UP, or was previously registered at UP and did not complete the programme enrolled for, and did not enrol at another tertiary institution in the meantime (including students who applied for leave of absence), or has completed studies at UP, but is not currently enrolled or was not enrolled at another tertiary institution after graduation.
A returning student will be considered for admission based on
- an NSC or equivalent qualification with exemption to bachelor’s or diploma studies (whichever is applicable); and meeting the minimum faculty-specific subject requirements at NSC or tertiary level; or previous academic performance (should have a cumulative weighted average of at least 50% for the programme enrolled for);
- having applied for and was granted leave of absence.
Note: Students who have been excluded/dismissed from a faculty due to poor academic performance may be considered for admission to another programme at UP. The Admissions Committee may consider such students if they were not dismissed more than twice. Only ONE transfer between UP faculties will be allowed, and a maximum of two (2) transfers within a faculty.
Important faculty-specific information on undergraduate programmes for 2023
- This is a selection programme. The closing date indicates the closure of the application process.
- Life Orientation is excluded when calculating the APS.
- Faculty Yearbooks: click here.
- All modules (excluding foreign language modules) will only be presented in English, as English is the language of tuition, communication and correspondence.
1. You will be considered for conditional admission if space allows, and if you:
- are a Grade 11 applicant (with an APS of 30 or more excluding Life Orientation), please submit your final Grade 11 examination results, and have a National Senior Certificate (NSC) with university endorsement or an equivalent qualification; OR
- are transferring from other recognised institutions to the University of Pretoria; OR
- are a graduate or have graduate status from another recognised tertiary institution; OR
- are a graduate of another Faculty at the University of Pretoria; AND
- comply with the minimum subject requirements and achievement levels, as well as the APS requirements of specific programmes.
If you are an applicant from a country other than South Africa, please apply for conditional admission based on your final results equivalent to Grade 11. Final admission is based on the qualification equivalent to the NSC.
2. You will be considered for final admission to degree studies if space allows, and if you:
- have a National Senior Certificate (NSC) or equivalent qualification with admission to bachelor’s degree studies, and comply with the minimum subject requirements as well as the APS requirements of your chosen programme; OR
- are a student transferring from another recognised tertiary institution and comply with the programme requirements; OR
- have graduate status from another recognised tertiary institution or are a graduate of another Faculty at the University of Pretoria.
If you are a citizen from a country other than South Africa or are a student with other qualifications equivalent to the NSC (including school qualifications from other countries, eg Spain, New Zealand, etc), you must obtain a Complete Exemption Certificate or a Foreign Conditional Exemption Certificate based on your international (‘foreign’) qualifications. Certificates can only be obtained from Universities South Africa (USAf) at click here. In addition, these candidates must meet the relevant programme admission requirements.
|English Home Language or English First Additional Language
* Students are advised to apply at least two weeks before the closing date.
* To retain admission, you must obtain an APS of at least 28 in the NSC.
The selection process has three steps:
Step 1: Application at UP
UP applications for the year 2023 open on 1 May 2021. You must apply online. The closing date for UP applications for BA (Information Design) is 31 July 2021.
Step 2: Application at Information Design
The BA (Information Design) degree entails a selection process.
Questionnaire and portfolio submission:
- You will be required to complete an online ID selection form, which consists of question sections and an online portfolio selection.
- The online ID selection form requires you to answer questions about yourself, including education, personal interests and achievements, motivation for study, etc.
- The online ID selection form will facilitate the uploading of 8 mandatory portfolio pieces, which comprises 1 x original drawing from observation, 1 x original photograph, and 6 x additional work. The online ID selection form provides detailed information about the format and content of the portfolio requirements.
- The deadline for submission is 31 July 2021. No late applications will be accepted.
Please refer to the Selection Procedure document, as well as the Selection Criteria document, at click here for more information.
Step 3: Interview video and selection test
You will be notified in August via email whether you meet the requirements of the merit selection process for BA (Information Design). If so, you qualify to continue to the third and final step of the selection process. You will receive an email with details to record a short interview video and complete a test that examines your ability to think laterally, visualise ideas, interpret visual images and communicate ideas in written form.
If you do not hear from us via email by 17 August 2021, you can assume that you do not qualify for the final round of the selection process; this means that you will not be eligible to submit an interview video and selection test.
Duration of study
4 years, full-time.
The Faculty of Humanities provides a holistic education, transferable skills, critical thinking, and communication and problem-solving that will help you develop to your full potential. You will be entering a stimulating environment that will broaden your intellectual horizons and help you achieve personal and professional success through the best possible learning experience.
As the most diverse Faculty of the University of Pretoria, we offer an exciting and comprehensive range of programmes and discipline-based majors, including studies in languages, social sciences and visual and performing arts.
BA Visual Studies (VS)
We live in a world that is laden with all kinds of visual messages (for example, TV, advertisements, billboards, and the Internet), and Visual Studies introduces you to the critical skills you need to be able to ‘read’ these messages. These skills will equip you with the ability to understand, analyse and interpret all kinds of visual messages.
More University of Pretoria Details
University Of Pretoria Online Application Steps
UP Online Application Form 2024
UP Online Application 2024 Closing Date
UP Online Application Login
UP Online Application Status 2024
University Of Pretoria Undergraduate Online Application
University Of Pretoria Online Application Postgraduate
University Of Pretoria 2024 Application Fee
UP Application Closing Dates
UP Online Application 2024 Closing Date
UP Application Form 2024 Pdf
UP Application 2024
UP Prospectus 2024
UP Online Application 2024
UP Postgraduate Prospectus 2024
UP Undergraduate Prospectus 2024
University Of Pretoria Calendar 2024
University Of Pretoria Contact
University Of Pretoria Bursaries
UP Courses 2024
UP Important Dates
University of Pretoria Registration
University of Pretoria Registration Fee
University Of Pretoria Address
University Of Pretoria Library
University Of Pretoria Fees
University Of Pretoria Logo
University Of Pretoria Courses
University Of Pretoria Application Status
University Of Pretoria Vacancies
University Of Pretoria Application Requirements
University Of Pretoria Accommodation
University Of Pretoria Architecture
University Of Pretoria Application Forms 2024 Pdf
University Of Pretoria Banking Details
University Of Pretoria Business School
University Of Pretoria Brochure
University Of Pretoria Bursaries 2024
University Of Pretoria Bridging Courses
University Of Pretoria Contact Number
University Of Pretoria Computer Science
University Of Pretoria Distance Learning
University Of Pretoria Diploma Courses
University Of Pretoria Departments
University Of Pretoria Email Address
University Of Pretoria Engineering
University Of Pretoria Economics
University Of Pretoria Exam Timetable 2024
University Of Pretoria English Department
University Of Pretoria Finance
University Of Pretoria Faculties
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Education
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Law
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Veterinary Science
University Of Pretoria Faculty Of Engineering
University Of Pretoria Graduation
University Of Pretoria Holidays 2024
University Of Pretoria Hillcrest Campus
University Of Pretoria History
University Of Pretoria HR Contact Details
University Of Pretoria Industrial Engineering
University Of Pretoria IT Courses
University Of Pretoria Journalism
University Of Pretoria June Exam Timetable
University Of Pretoria Key Dates
University Of Pretoria Law Library
University Of Pretoria Law Fees
University Of Pretoria Medical School
University Of Pretoria Main Campus
University Of Pretoria Masters Application
University Of Pretoria Media Studies
University Of Pretoria Nursing
University Of Pretoria Number
University Of Pretoria Nsfas
University Of Pretoria Online Application 2024
University Of Pretoria Online Courses
University Of Pretoria Open Day
University Of Pretoria Online Application Login
University Of Pretoria Online Registration
University Of Pretoria Portal
University Of Pretoria Psychology
University Of Pretoria Postgraduate Fees
University Of Pretoria Qualifications
University Of Pretoria Requirements
University Of Pretoria Ranking
University Of Pretoria Student Accommodation
University Of Pretoria Term Dates
University Of Pretoria Teaching Course Requirements
University Of Pretoria Term Dates 2024
University Of Pretoria Telephone Number
University Of Pretoria Transcripts
University Of Pretoria Up Portal
University Of Pretoria World Ranking
University Of Pretoria World Ranking 2024
University Of Pretoria Waiting List